FSI: At the Intersection of Teaching, Learning, and Technology is an annual conference that brings educators and instructional-technology professionals together each May at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Attendees come from across Illinois and as far away as Canada. The conference features keynote presentations, networking, and hands-on training on the use of modern communication and information technologies in education.
Participants are encouraged to share their experiences and teaching methods in person and virtually. Networking is a main component of FSI, and there are many opportunities for social engagement during receptions, scheduled activities, and concurrent sessions.
FSI was founded between 1996-1997 when the Presidents and Chancellors of Illinois public universities called for the development of an Inter-institutional Faculty Summer Institute on Learning Technologies. Since then, this popular conference has been supported by the Illinois Board of Higher Education, directed by a succession of steering committees, and enjoyed by all who appreciate the ideas and information shared at this annual event.
What's in a Name?
The Steering Committee recently decided to stop referring to the event as Faculty Summer Institute. We think it is important to retain the "brand" recognition of FSI but want to make it clear this conference is not only for faculty.
Theme: Adapt, Evolve, Engage
- Adapt – We are adapting to the changes across higher education. From student needs to budget climates to accreditation to the value of education in general.
- Evolve – We will be evolving our teaching styles to match changes in learning. We will be evolving our conferences, professional development, and outreach to demonstrate our value in this changing environment.
- Engage – How do we engage our students where they are? How do we engage our campuses to understand the changes that are impacting higher education? What strategies can we use to engage both internal and external stakeholders to help in these changing times?
We challenge you to think about this theme and how you can help us organize an event that is beneficial not only to you across these two days but for your campus and its students.
- Call for exhibitors/sponsors opens: Monday, November 5
- Call for proposals opens: Monday, December 3
- Deadline for pre-conference workshop proposals: Monday, January 28
- Pre-conference workshops announced: Friday, February 8
- Registration opens: Friday, February 8
- Deadline for concurrent session & poster proposals: Friday, March 1
- Session & poster presenters notified: Friday, March 29
- Early registration deadline: Monday, April 8
- Regular registration deadline: Tuesday, May 14 (late/on-site still available)
- Conference: Tuesday, May 21 & Wednesday, May 22
Beyond the Conference
Let's keep the energy and community of FSI going! We would love to hear from you if you have any professional development opportunities, webinars, or links to articles you feel would be of interest to the FSI cohort. We encourage you to share them on the FSI Facebook page, tweet with the hashtag #FSIengage.
Want to join the FSI mailing list? Email email@example.com.
Note: Conference attendees may be photographed or filmed.