Illinois Interinstitutional Faculty Summer Institute on Learning Technologies
Eastern Illinois University Local Plans and Solutions
The following are comments and suggestions regarding technology integration on EIU's campus:
- Summer meeting of the Vice President of Academic Affairs, Vice President of Business Affairs, Associate Vice President for Information Technology Services, and the Deans of the Colleges faculty members represented to de-brief and to start dialog with the ideas and suggestions presented and stimulated by this institute.
Infrastructure and Support Issues
- We (the people who will be teaching theses courses) have to decide what we are going to do with the network....
- Will the students be looking at web pages?
- Are we going to have students just looking at web pages; computer conferencing; run Mallard or CyberProf?
- All of these take different server capacities.
- Are we going to serve off-campus students?
- If so, are there enough dial-in lines?
- Seems that we will need to have some courses up and running before those questions can be answered.
- Faculty players need to be brought to the table for computer resources; dissemination of information, and what the infrastructure is able on not able to do.
- University support of classrooms that have technology and the development or implementation of technology into classrooms that do not have computer technology application possibilities.
- Some mechanism needs to be available for listing what is available on campus as far as software development for courses (i.e. who is working with First Class or Mallard)
- Is there a guide to faculty computing services on campus for new faculty or for faculty in general?
- Are we going to make First Class, CyberProf or Mallard available on our campus?
- Where will the support come for development and maintenance of the server software and class development?
- Two types of support: 1) the software/hard ware issues and 2) the application of technology to the learning/teaching process.
Incentives and Reward Structures
- Insurance that when faculty begin using technology in their curriculum that they are successful immediately and that the process is made easy.
- Some sort of funding for the beginning to develop materials on campus using the web
- An across campus support of web initiates on the EIU campus
Training and Development
- Faculty training facilities with Media Services -will develop a higher level of "classes" for development of course work using technology with faculty members.
- A small facility is available in Media Services for faculty production including scanners and audio capabilities for class development with technology integration.
- Investigate the possibility of pilot program(s) of using technology in the curriculum and add a little extra support for the faculty member.
- Some possibilities of grant writing within the cohort that attended this conference needs to be investigated for technology and faculty release time.
- Possibility of providinge some accounts for participants of the Institute to Mallard or First Class for faculty development possibilities.