The Faculty Summer Institute (FSI) is an annual conference that brings educators and instructional-technology professionals together each May at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Attendees come from across Illinois and as far away as Canada. The conference features keynote presentations, networking, and hands-on training on the use of modern communication and information technologies in education.
Participants are encouraged to share their experiences and teaching methods in person and virtually. Networking is a main component of FSI, and there are many opportunities for social engagement during receptions, scheduled activities, and concurrent sessions.
FSI was founded between 1996-1997 when the Presidents and Chancellors of Illinois public universities called for the development of an Inter-institutional Faculty Summer Institute on Learning Technologies. Since then, this popular conference has been supported by the Illinois Board of Higher Education, directed by a succession of steering committees, and enjoyed by all who appreciate the ideas and information shared at this annual event.
The Theme: Adapt, Evolve, Engage
- Adapt – We are adapting to the changes across higher education. From student needs to budget climates to accreditation to the value of education in general.
- Evolve – We will be evolving our teaching styles to match changes in learning. We will be evolving our conferences, professional development, and outreach to demonstrate our value in this changing environment.
- Engage – How do we engage our students where they are? How do we engage our campuses to understand the changes that are impacting higher education? What strategies can we use to engage both internal and external stakeholders to help in these changing times?
We challenge you to think about this theme and how you can help us organize an event that is beneficial not only to you across these two days but for your campus and your students.
- Call for Exhibitors/Sponsors opens: November 28, 2017
- Call for Proposals opens: December 15, 2017
- Call for Pre-Conference Workshop proposals closes:
Friday, January 19, 2018*extended to Thursday, February 15, 2018*
- Pre-Conference Workshop presenters notified: Thursday, February 22, 2018
- Registration opens: Thursday, February 22, 2018
- Call for Proposals closes: Sunday, March 4, 2018
- Proposals approved & presenters notified: Friday, March 24, 2018
- Early registration deadline: Friday, April 6, 2018
- Regular registration deadline: Tuesday, May 1, 2018 (late/on-site still available)
- Conference: Wednesday, May 16 - Thursday, May 17, 2018
- FSI Conference: May 16-17, 2018
Note: Conference attendees may be photographed or filmed.